It’s been a while since I wrote about Korean makeup or skincare but don’t worry, I have several articles and reviews in the wings. Time to get back in the trenches and talk about one of my favourite things – other than the colour purple, Big Bang, chocolate milk, dwaeji galbi or cute boys that is. Now it’s a well-known fact that I love Korean cosmetics and skincare, how can one not when they are inexpensive, good quality and often cute?!
But ever since I discovered makeup as a young teen, lipstick in all its many glorious forms has been my holy grail. Now if you saw my nail polish collection – I have more polishes than many salons – you’d think it was my grail but no, I just love nail polish. I’m not so particular about the colour, in fact, I probably own them all. However, I’m always searching for the perfect lipstick. That one colour that looks perfect, lasts forever, but doesn’t dry my lips out. The holy grail of lipsticks!
Now I’ve never counted the number of lipsticks, glosses, stains, coloured lip balms, etc. that I own but it’s safe to guess that the combined number would be over 20. To balance it out, I only own one foundation and one BB cream. ^^ And once I went to Korea a whole new world of beauty products and cosmetic lines opened up before me. I was in heaven… more places to find that perfect lip stick!
You see, if I had to leave the house wearing only one product, it would have to be some form of lip product. And recently, that’s been lip stains…
It all started when I got two samples of Etude House’s Fresh Cherry Tint in my last order from Momomango. [Side note: I love shopping with them. They have a great selection, fabulous customer service, and they listen to their customers and will add products based on recommendations.]
So, of course, when I went to Korea last summer I had to buy a couple of different lip stains so I could compare… and maybe find my holy grail. Want to know what I found? Of course you do!
The Face Shop My Lips Eat Cherry Aqua Tint
I bought this lip stain in a three pact that came with the following colours – Bloody Red, Juicy Red, Juicy Cherry. While there’s not a bad colour in the bunch, Juicy Cherry is great for daytime or work (in fact it’s been my go-to lip colour for work recently). The other two are a little darker and great for a lovely night look.
What I liked
- Easy to apply, the applicator comes out with the right amount to easily cover my lips without being sloppy.
- The formula is neither drying nor moisturizing and dries the quickest of the three.
- Once dry, it doesn’t transfer.
- Love all three colours, although I’m most partial to Juicy Red (see below) and Juicy Cherry (above).
What I didn’t like
- It could be a little longer lasting but at least it fades gradually.
- Add a dab of shiny or sparkly glass to the centre of your bottom lip to make it look fuller (and to add moisture).
Tony Moly Water Jelly Tint
I bought this lip stain completely randomly because I loved the colour, Pomegranate. Sometimes, random purchases aren’t a good thing as I’ve been more disappointed that happy with it.
What I liked
- The colour, it’s why I bought it.
- It has great staying power, and seems to last forever.
What I didn’t like
- Do you see how empty the bottle is? So not impressed.
- The applicator always seems to come out with too much, even when I wipe it off.
- The formula take a while to dry, and will come off easily until it does
- If you want a more intense colour, let each coat dry before applying another.
Etude House Fresh Cherry Tint
This was the sample that I was given – in Fresh Cherry Red and Fresh Cherry Pink – that started my latest love affair with colour. The bright, candy floss like colour of Fresh Cherry Pink may be off-putting to some but it looks – they both do – surprisingly good. Apply just a thin layer and it’s pretty natural looking. Apply more than one and you’re ready for a party.
Unfortunately, because I was working from a sample, I can’t comment on the applicator.
What I like
- The colours
- This was the longest lasting of the three lip stains.
What I didn’t like
- It’s a thicker formula so it takes a while to dry and will transfer easily
- If using a sample like I was, you only need to squeeze (gently) a very small amount – like a drop. My samples lasted for about two weeks (no joke). A little really does go a long way.
All in all, I was super happy with The Face Shop’s My Lips Eat Cherry Aqua Tint (and I love the name) – in all three colours – and Etude House’s Fresh Cherry Tint – in both colours. I did love the pomegranate colour of the Tony Moly Water Jelly Tint but ultimately, it was my least favourite.
I do want to try out any other colours The Face Shop may have in the My Lips Eat Cherry line and of course, buy a full size version of Etude House’s Fresh Cherry Tint (in the pink)… one can never have enough lip stains! ^^
Oh, and I know they are called “tints” but really, they are more of a “stain” than a “tint”… there’s too much colour and it does stain.
What about you? Have you tried any of the lip stains/tints? Did you try another one and want to recommend it or warn us away? Let us know in the comments! We love hearing from you… ^^