Hello my lovely readers, I’ve got some more exciting news for you… and not just for my Toronto readers! I know I’m often guilty of reporting Toronto-centric Korean stuff but today’s post is equally valuable for those of you in Hamilton, Ottawa and Montreal (and of course, Toronto)!
What’s the exciting news?
Apollo 18, the Korean alt-rock group, is doing a short – 4 cities in 4 nights – tour of Canada.
Who are Apollo 18?
The rock group is made up of three members: Choi Hyun-seok (guitar/vocals), Kim Dae-inn (bass/vocals) and Lee Sang-yun (drums). But they’re not just any alt-rock band from Korea, they’re an award-winning band, winning the “Rookie of the Year” award at the Korean Music Awards in March 2010. They’ve also played some of Korea’s – well, actually the world’s – biggest music festivals, including SXSW (USA), the Fuji Rock Festival (Japan), Beastie Rock Festival (Taiwan), Jisan Valley Rock Festival (Korea), and the Incheon Pentaport Rock Festival (Korea). This is one group you don’t want to miss!
Want a taste of their music?
You know we have you covered! Check out the two YouTube videos below or you can stream their music on SoundCloud. Their SoundCloud has a sampling of songs from four of their albums/EPs so it makes a great overview for any newbies to them. I’m partial to Sonic Boom, Corpse Flower, Song A and Discharge.
Just the facts:
Who: Apollo 18
What: Fabulous live rock music
- When: Wednesday September 19
- Where: This Ain’t Hollywood (345 James Street North)
- Who: Apollo 18, Mystery Machine
- How much: no info yet
- Doors open at 9:00pm
- When: Thursday September 20
- Where: Zaphod Beeblebrox (27 York Street)
- Who: Apollo 18 (no info on opening act yet)
- How much: $5 in advance (order here) or $8 at the door
- Doors open at 8:00pm
- When: Friday September 21
- Where: Quai des Brumes (4481 Rue Saint Denis) – Pop Montreal Festival
- Who: Apollo 18, Jimmy Target & the Triggers, Protofiev, and Les Indiens
- How much: $10 at the door
- Show starts at 8:30pm, Apollo 18 goes on at 10:30pm
- When: Saturday September 22
- Where: Bovine Sex Club (542 Queen Street West)
- Who: Apollo 18, Bonwit Teller, Electric Shovel, and Nine Lives And Counting
- How much: $5 at the door
- Doors open at 9:00pm
Why go: They put on a fabulous, energy-filled show that you won’t want to miss!
I really like their music (I’ve had their Black EP on repeat while writing this article) and can’t wait to see them live, especially after reading the articles by KoreanIndie.com and MTV Iggy and hearing how amazing they are live. I’ll be at the Toronto show (so excited!) so as always, my lovely readers, come say “Hi” if you see me!