Get Your Own Korean Name!

When I was teaching in Korea, most of my students had English “names” in addition to their actual Korean names. Some were real English names like James, Julie or Kevin and some weren’t normal – like Unicorn, Computer Game (yep, I taught a kid named Computer Game in my first year) and my personal favourite, Eejit (I changed his name because there was no way I was calling a kid Eejit, it’s just wrong so he became Liam).

And not to be left out, my Korean co-workers in my first year (actually in my first month) gave me a Korean name – Ga Eun (가은) or more formally, Shin Ga Eun (신가은). Which was great because the hangul character (으) was the one I had the hardest time learning to pronounce properly so this forced me to practice it. Plus I’m told it’s a beautiful name. 🙂

Why am I talking about Korean names? A little while ago I found this fabulous new application on Facebook from Advanced Technology and Design Korea where you can design your own Korean name. It takes a bit of time to load at the beginning but it’s worth it.

What can you expect? Check out the pictures below for a walk through the process of getting your own Korean name! All the pictures are screenshots from Advanced Technology and Design Korea’s Facebook app.

I chose to create an authentic Korean name 🙂

I chose “happy” because being happy is more important to me than being wealthy or famous. Good thing I didn’t have to choose between happy and wisdom – that would have been hard!

But that’s not all!

And you can have your own “business card” with your new Korean name and your current Facebook picture. Here’s mine!

What do you think? Do you like my new Korean name? I love the meaning behind it but am too comfortable with my original Korean name to switch. But I love the application! It was easy and fun to use so if you don’t already have a Korean name, click here to create your very own!

Cindy Zimmer

Live life to the fullest everyday – this is a the philosophy I try to live by and it’s taken me on many adventures. I write about Korean culture from a non-Korean perspective as the editor/founder of ATK Magazine and I’m the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Toronto Korean Film Festival (TKFF). Previously, I ran a Korean-English language exchange group (in Toronto) for 3 years to stay connected to my three years living in Korea as an English teacher. I love music, film, food and sports and write about 3 of the 4.

65 thoughts on “Get Your Own Korean Name!

• March 31, 2012 at 11:05 pm

how d0 i can get a orean name huhh?

• April 1, 2012 at 12:31 am

To get a Korean name, just click the link at the bottom of the article.

• March 20, 2013 at 12:51 am

Hi Cindy , I just want to know what link did I have to click

• March 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

Look at the bottom of the article where it says “click here” in blue 🙂

• December 20, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I clicked the link to find my Korean name and I don’t know what to click next.. Could you help me?

• December 21, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hi Mya, you just need to follow the instructions of the app on Facebook after you click the link. It will walk you through the process.

• April 27, 2016 at 3:35 pm

The link does as it takes you to their Facebook page but unfortunately, it looks like their Facebook app is either down or no longer working.

• June 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I am curious, how did your coworkers choose 신가은 as your name? 🙂

• June 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm

신 came from Cindy but 가은 was simply because my one co-worker really liked it. She thought it was beautiful. But even though I was given a Korean name, everyone still called me Cindy (신디) ^^

• July 19, 2012 at 1:28 am

what did you do in korean name 🙂

• August 3, 2012 at 1:25 am

can i know my real name in korea?bcause im not sure if this is my real name sin jee hee

• August 3, 2012 at 1:31 am

what i mean i want to know if this is true that the person can make their own name even though they are not born in the korea or not the citizen of korea

• August 3, 2012 at 1:33 am

and thank you for the informaiton or for being a good tutorial………kamsahamnida!

• August 3, 2012 at 1:50 am

hi i am eva. i just want to know if this is true that the person can make or creat their own name even though their are not born in the korea or they are not the citizen of korea,what is the porpuse of that?

by the way thank for the information it can help me and thank you also for being a goo tutorial………..kamsahamnida!

• August 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hi Eva! This is just for fun. Like many Koreans have an unofficial English name that they use while studying English, many people who are interested in Korean culture or who are studying Korean want an unofficial Korean name. Like a nickname. This is just a fun Facebook app – created by Advanced Technology and Design Korea – that can give people a Korean name (for fun).

I wrote about it because it was fun to do 🙂

• August 17, 2012 at 3:00 am

Hi,Cindy.I would like to know why the application doesn’t work?
    I’ve tried in many times.

• August 17, 2012 at 9:28 am

Hi Ruth, I haven’t used it in ages but just tried it out again to see. It does take quite a while (a minute or two) to load at the start so you have to be patient but it worked for me. Unfortunately, I just wrote about the application so I can’t actually help you but I’m sure if you contact Advanced Technology and Design Korea (the owners of the app) via Facebook, they will be able to help you.

• August 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Oooh this is cool! Can’t wait to get my own Korean name ;D but I’ve always wondered if there was an actual Korean name for an English name? If that makes any sense 😛 haha

• August 25, 2012 at 10:17 am

My Korean name is very similar to yours….and I grew up in South Korea for a part of my life. Yours if Ga Yun Eun. Mine is Ga Yun Eee. I just found it really cool how we have similar names ;).

• August 25, 2012 at 10:20 am

Completely forgot the other part. How am I supposed to know what my Korean name mean? I’ve never thought about it until now. Caren means “pure” but I don’t think my Korean name means “pure” too.
      The beginning of my Korean name is Shin too. The first part of the name like Shin is the last name of your English name….

• August 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Wow, we do have similar Korean names 🙂 and yeah, I was given Shin as my Korean family name because it’s from the first part of my English name (Cindy). As for finding out the Korean meaning for your Korean name, you could Google it (which is my answer for everything) or ask a native Korean speaker. Unfortunately I can’t help you with that.

• August 28, 2012 at 3:23 am

how do i get korean name?

• August 28, 2012 at 9:28 am

Click the link at the bottom of the post, wait for the Facebook app to load (it takes a minute or two) and follow the instructions. It’s easy!

• February 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm

how do i know my korean name

• February 8, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Please read the article and the other comments for your answer.

• August 29, 2012 at 8:53 am

wow!it is so amazing!
    Thanks for a korean explanation.Actually i’m a 2nd year high school only and i want to study the korean language because its exciting.:)

• March 20, 2013 at 12:58 am

yes youre right studying korean language is very exciting..

• March 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

I should study more but it’s fun 🙂 How long have you been studying Korean for?

• November 10, 2012 at 2:52 am

hey guys can anybody make this to korean (khyar)??

• November 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm

The app doesn’t change your name into Korean, but rather gives you a Korean name. Try it 🙂

• December 12, 2012 at 1:51 am

how to get this app for my android phone.

• December 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

Unfortunately, I just wrote about the fun app. Please visit their Facebook page and contact Advanced Technology and Design Korea (the owners of the app) for more info.

• January 3, 2013 at 1:32 am

Now, I know. Thank you Cindy. I’m a lil’ bit beginner in studying Hangul, but indeed, I already know how to speak, read and write in Korean characters. All I just wanted to know is the other Korean words.. *sigh* Sorry if you didn’t get my point.. I can’t explain it to you in a clear way, I’m so sorry.. Just try to understand my point, hihi.. Anyway, Cindy.. I’m Risha, Risha Jam Santiago, you can call me whatever you want, I just wanted to ask you how can I write my name “Risha” in Korean characters? I hope you’ll reply to me as soon as you can and as clear as you can. Gamsahamnida unni~ ^o^

• January 3, 2013 at 1:53 am

I just wanted to add this, Cindy. Hihihi!

I found out that the name Risha came from Sanskrit and meanwhile, the name Jam came from English. I just wanted to know how can I write my name into korean letters? Especially the name “Risha”. I need your help! Thank you ^o^ Hwaiting~

• January 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

Hi Risha, while I’m no expert in Korean – my level is low intermediate – I would write your name in Hangul (what Korean characters are called) like this: 리시아 잠 산티아고. Risha (리시아) Jam (잠) Santiago (산티아고). I hope that helps!

• December 7, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I think 리샤 잠 산탸고 would be better? ^^

• December 7, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Lisya Jam Santyago? (Santiago?) Hm… I think I’m missing something.

• January 7, 2013 at 11:25 am

my korean name is Sung Mi Young!!
    thanks to you Cindy Zimmer

• January 20, 2013 at 9:49 am

hehe.. my name is KO HA NA 😀 😀 cute isnt it?? It means “the one and only” <3

• February 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Hi Cindy ! how can i know my name in korean ??

• February 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

If you are looking to get your own Korean name, use the Facebook app mentioned in this article and follow the steps (or ask a Korean friend to name you). However, if you just want to write your name in Hangul, you can either leave you name in a comment (and I’ll reply with your name written in Hangul) or you can ask a Korean friend to do so. Hope that helps!

• October 28, 2013 at 8:29 am

can you please give my korean name?

• October 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

You need to use the app to get your Korean name, just follow the instructions.

• December 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I tried to “make” my own korean name by finding the meaning behind my english name and then finding the hanja for it. ^^

• July 20, 2014 at 7:54 am

I like your Korean name. It is even better than mine b

• December 1, 2014 at 5:07 am

Hi! May I know What is the app’s name?

• December 3, 2014 at 9:27 pm

If you click the link at the bottom of the article, you’ll find out 🙂

• December 5, 2014 at 1:19 am

Hi! My name is Sam. I just wanna ask if my korean name ‘Song Hyo Sub’ is correct? Out of curiosity.

• December 5, 2014 at 6:40 am

Hi Sam! Unfortunately I can’t tell you if your Korean name is correct, this was just an article about a Facebook app that makes up Korean names for people. However, ‘Song Hyo Sub’ sounds correct.

• December 26, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Nice blog post. However, I think that the app is no longer available as it says, “Operation timed out”. I clicked the “click here” link to try the app

• December 28, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Thanks, glad you liked it! You seem to be right about the app… I tried a couple of times & it wouldn’t load either. Will add a notation to the article that the app may no longer be working. Thanks for the heads up!

• September 3, 2015 at 9:35 am

Hai cindy i really dont know if what is my name in korean can you please help me

• September 3, 2015 at 11:11 am

Sorry, I can’t give you a Korean name but if you use the Facebook app mentioned in the article, it will give you a Korean name. It’s easy to use!

We want to hear what you think!

%d bloggers like this: